The Children’s Faith Formation is designed to give our children, from 4 years old to Eighth Grade, a better understanding and appreciation of what is happening when they come to Mass on Sunday.
During the celebration of the 9:00 a.m. Sunday Mass special attention is placed on parish youth in music and message, the children are called to the altar for a blessing and then dismissed with their teachers for deeper understanding of the Scriptures and Church Tradition.
The teachers present the Liturgy of the Word readings in a way that the children can understand. An activity or alternate story is used to further help them appreciate the meaning and significance of the Gospel message in their daily lives.
Parents are encouraged to accompany the child on their journey of faith through attending Mass with them and knowing and discussing the supplemental material that supports the weekly lesson.
All teachers have had Safe Environment Training and have passed a background check.
For more information, please contact Kathy Horan at 352-726-1670.
First Holy Communion Preparation Program
The Parish is pleased to welcome all of her second graders to their first and frequent reception of the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament. Our First Holy Communion Preparation Program consists of regular catechetical classes and several special events that lead up to the First Holy Communion Mass.
Registration for 2024 will open in late summer 2023.
For Children Enrolled at the St. John Paul II Catholic School
- Second graders at the St. John Paul II Catholic School will be prepared for their First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion as part of their daily religion classes.
- Parents are asked to complete the First Holy Communion Registration form and provide a copy of the child’s baptismal certificate.
For Children Not Currently Enrolled at the St. John Paul II Catholic School
- All second graders who are not students of St. John Paul II Catholic School are to enroll in our Children’s Faith Formation program. This will prepare them for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.
- Once enrolled, parents are asked to complete the First Holy Communion Registration form and provide a copy of the child’s baptismal certificate.
How can I as a parent best support my child’s preparation for First Holy Communion?
While our teachers do a wonderful job of explaining the sacraments and showing our young people how to receive them, it is truly your example that will have the greatest impact on the spiritual life of your child. If you are not already doing so, we invite you to make these things a priority:
- Attending Mass on all Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.
- Making your own faith a priority by seeking the opportunities for adult faith formation in the parish.
- Supporting a parish ministry with the gift of your time and talents.
- Having regular family prayer time and discussing the Eucharist with your child.
- Returning to the Sacrament of Reconciliation, especially if it’s been a while.
We use these videos and lesson plans to guide discussion of the Sunday’s Gospel with focus on social justice, moral reasoning, and service for students:
- Pflaum Weeklies for Prek, K, 1, 2, 3, & 4
- Be My Disciples for Grades 5, 6, & 7
- Confirmation Decision Point by Dynamic Catholic