Baptism is the first of the seven sacraments and a Sacrament of Initiation. Through Baptism, an individual is united to Christ and the Church. Through baptism, original sin is removed by the grace of the Holy Spirit using the symbols of water and the Word. The individual becomes clothed with Christ, receives an indelible mark from God, and enters into a relationship with God and the Church. When children are baptized, the parents profess Faith on behalf of the children.
Contact Parish Office with any questions you might have about your child’s Sacrament of Baptism. 352-726-1670.
Baptism of Infants and Children (Up to Age 6)
We encourage all expecting parents to arrange for their baby’s baptism as soon as possible. Baptism for children of the age of reason or older is through our Right of Christian Initiation (RCIA) program. Please contact the parish office for more information.
Through baptism, your child will receive a new life in Christ and become a son or daughter of God! We look forward to welcoming your precious child into our parish family and the Holy Catholic Church.
Requirements for Baptism
- Newborn to 6 years old
- Parents attend one class before the baptism (godparents are also encouraged but not required to attend a class)
- Contact the Parish Office at 352-726-1670 to register for a parent preparation class before the birth of the child, if possible.
The following paperwork must be received before a baptism date is chosen:
- Email a copy of the child’s birth certificate to the Parish Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each godparent must provide a completed sponsor form from his/her home parish.
Baptism of Child 7+ (Older Children & Adults)
If you are over the age of 7 and would like to learn more about baptism, please click here to learn about our RCIA program.
Baptism Prep Class
Baptism and Parenting Preparation Experience. Preparation begins with a consultation with the Faith Formation Minister and later with the Priest to determine the needs of the parents.
For first time parents, the preparation may be more in depth, designed to emphasize the meaning and significance of infant baptism, as well as how the sacrament is celebrated. For you, the wait is over. You are overwhelmed with joy and love. You are just plain overwhelmed! And while nothing can fully prepare you to become a mom or a dad, you can prepare to become a great mom or dad.
The STARTING POINT videos and materials give you the insights, tools, and encouragement necessary to raise a great child—from Baptism and beyond! Starting Point Birth and Baptism | Dynamic Catholic. [Click here]
Role of Godparents
The role of godparents is special in the life of the child and the family. Godparents help parents to bring up their children in the faith by their witness and prayers.
Requirements of a godparent:
- at least 16 years old
- At least one godparent must be Confirmed in the Catholic Church
- in lieu of a second godparent, the child may have one sponsor who is a baptized non-Catholic Christian witness of the baptism.
- Live a life of faith in harmony with the duty he/she is undertaking.
- Not one of the parents of the child being baptized.
- Maximum of two godparents: one male and one female