Catholicism had an early start in Citrus County through the courtesy of St. Leo Abbey. In 1893 the St. Thomas Mission was established in Inverness. The mission chapel was converted from an old printing office on Grace Street which is now Inverness Primary School. The church met in this chapel until 1910. The building was falling into disrepair, so Masses were moved and were periodically held in the home of William F. Barret. In the spring of 1947, a weekly Mass was celebrated in the American Legion Hall in Inverness, and later in the mess hall at Good Counsel Camp in Floral City. During these times, a search was ongoing for a new location and seven acres in Sportsman’s Park north of Inverness was purchased. A small concrete block chapel was built in 1954 that could seat one hundred, and the furnishings were donated by various other churches. In September of that year, the church was officially established as Our Lady of Fatima. As the population continued to grow, the need for a larger facilty was evident, so ten acres were purchased on US Hwy 41 South which is our present site. A new church and parish hall were built in 1974 along with a separate building for classrooms for Religious Education and the parish office. The church served the needs of our parish community until the early 1980’s. Again we outgrew our church and in May 1987 building began on our third and present church. The former church houses some of our Religious Education Classes and the parish hall which has been renovated. Our Lady of Fatima covers 23,000 square feet, including the main church and chapel. Together they can accomodate over 1,000 people. In a period of thirty-two years, from its creation as a separate Parish, three Churches were built to meet the growing needs of the Catholic community.